![]() |
1. Wednesday Morning, day 5, we left Mitchell, South Dakota and headed East on 90. 2. It was sunny, 32*F, and we missed out on the Corn Palace. 3. Mitchell, South Dakota is apparently THE place to get biscuits and gravy though... Yumm-mmmy! 4. We drove 478 miles today and made it here to Iowa City, Iowa. 5. We saw the birthplace of Laura Ingalls Wilder. 6. We are pretty much driving the Louis and Clark trail which I think is the coolest thing ever! I read the history of that last year... we've been to their ending point in Oregon on the Coast, so it is extra fun to be traveling the opposite direction now. 7. There is a difference between a "rest stop" and a "modern rest stop". Lucky we figured it out the very first time we saw the signs! 8. I drank coffee from the - ok, hold on here - cover the kids' eyes - "Kum&Go" gas station in Iowa. I can't see that sign without laughing. 9. Once we got past DesMoines, IA, we saw a significant decrease in snow, an increase in huge semi's roaring along at 80MPH, and a whole lot of other traffic. It sure spiced up the driving! 10. Now that I have driven 2144 miles through farm country, I no longer find humor in saying "Mooooooooo" everytime I pass a herd of cows. Nor do I find it amusing when the children persist in saying "Mooooooo" everytime we pass a herd of cows. I find it particularly irritating when I hear "Moooooo" over the walky-talky from my husband. 11. Our cat Bandit is still hiding under the middle passenger seat in the van. Pixie maintains an interest in trying to balance on the back of the seat which is somewhat difficult since she has no front claws. The Gecko is alive and well. My one precious plant I am bringing with me appears to be dying cuz I was stupid enough to leave it in the car overnight the past few nights. Tonight it is cozy and warm in the hotel with us. Charlie dog has not needed any doggie downers and appears to be really enjoying riding in the truck with the boys. He stays on his doggie bed in the hotel room and does his "business" only when taken outside. Good boy Charlie dog! 12. I saw a LOT of these on the road yesterday. They are startlingly big and pretty! Today I saw nothing. See number 10 above. 13. We are in a Baymont Inn in Iowa - very nice, our nicest place yet, and not the most expensive either. The kids are in the pool, the laundry is in the dryer, and on Thursday morning (day 6 - can you believe it????) we will be headed for somewhere in Ohio. Almost home folks, I'm almost home! Happy Thursday - I won't be able to visit, or even catch up, but you are all in my thoughts! |
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

11 comments:
What a great trip! I too have just recently been to their spot in Oregon it is amazing!
My 13 is up too! (http://themartintimes.com) stop on by if you would like?
Sounds like a great trip.
My 13 is up, but you sound too busy to check it out (which is fine...)
My prayers are still with you guys!
Sounds like quite a trip! have fun! my TT is up!
We drove cross counrty a few times and MOOOOOOO'ed everytime we saw cows. It does get very old.
My 13 are up.
The gas station sign cracked me up!
Happy Thursday!
Mine are up.
Diary of the Nello
In regards to #8, tell me you took a picture!
When I would drive from Ga. to Va. (and have to drive back) the nine hours and 600+ miles made me crazy. I can't imagine driving the way you are. Be safe! See you on the east coast. :-)
this is so making me dread my own eastward trek this summer. complete with kids & cats. oh & dogs too. remind me to stockpile valium, please?
i can't wait to read the remainder of the trip! :)
have a lovely TT! :)
It's all cornfields from here... tee hee hee.. better you than me... I'd go crazy!
Keep us updated.
LadyBug
Cool! What an incredible road trip!
Post a Comment