Thursday, March 23, 2006

Eastbound Day 6

Today is Thursday the 23rd, and the end of our 6th day on the road. We left Iowa this morning and are currently in Fremont Indiana. We traveled less than 400 miles today. We got a very late start and we stopped a little early - plus there was the incident of me getting lost!

First and foremost, we decided two mornings ago that I needed to sleep a little later so instead of getting up before 6 and having all of us packed, fed, and in the car by 8:30, I've been sleeping as much as I can and then we are starting later. Today we actually had a money order to purchase and then overnight to our insurance agent for our closing so we didn't actually start driving until 10:30 this morning.

Somewhere around Chicago Illinois there was a ton of traffic and some road work. 3 lanes merged into one and I lost David. We touched base via walky talky but then he got too far ahead of me for them to work. Thank goodness for cell phones! We touched base as I was going through the toll booth just a few miles behind him and I tried my best to catch up to him. Right as we were on the phone figuring we were only a 1/2 mile apart, the interstate split and I missed it! He went one way (the right way of course!) and I went the other way. I took the next exit and sat at a gas station until he found his way back to me. We were both irritated with each other over it. It wasn't really anyone's fault but it was just a scary moment and a bit of a bother. Thankfully it was resolved very quickly!

We are now in Indiana, close to moving right into Ohio and David says we'll only have a couple more nights at a hotel. Tonight I begged for us to have pizza and beer here in the hotel room. Crazy? Maybe, but I'm such a homebody and every time we stop at a hotel I have to take some time to make it "home" for us and tonight I just can't face the thought of having to go out in the car one more time for dinner. I just want to stay put and settle into the room and be "at home" for a few hours before I go to sleep. Currently Buddy and Chick are down in the gameroom and Bear is vegging in front of Nickelodeon - all 3 as happy as clams.

Travel wise, we sure have a lot more traffic and stopping places over the past 2 days. It's not so desolate here but it also makes it harder to keep track of each other. The whole trip has been so much easier than I imagined, but a lot less fun also. To make it really fun, a trip like this should take at least 2 weeks. Then you can stop and take pictures of places like the "Kum&Go" or the "Corn Palace" or stop at obscure little touristy things like the cool Reptile Museum or a zoo or national park whenever you want. I am glad we saw Rushmore and stopped at Wall Drug, but that's the extent of our fun times. Pity...

Looking back on what has brought us to this point in time feels very much like a weird dream. I can hardly believe that I have been driving all day for the past 6 days. I can hardly remember what it was like to initiate this whole move, to fly out to MA and look for a house, to put our WA house up for sale and to box up all our possessions. I can hardly remember what our first day of travel felt like. I can't believe we've come this far! What a tale we'll tell someday!

Until tomorrow...

D

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh damn!! You guys must be going crazy by now. Do your eyeballs burn yet? I remember that feeling..

Be safe!!

Anonymous said...

And just think, you have your blog to chronicle it all!

It is exciting to sit and read about your journey.
I would HATE driving that much though!