Tuesday, March 7, 2006

This one's for Mel

I am a doula. I started in 1994. I don't just love my job, I am my job. It chose me, it was not necessarily a career I chose. I can do nothing else. I don't do it full time, and in fact it has been nearly two years since I have attended a birth. My heart aches, but even though I have not attended a birth, I still "doula" everyday in many different ways.

I keep in touch with many of my clients. One of them was Mel, a precious soul whom I was with almost 5 years ago for the birth of her child. Each birth I attend brings something to me - enriches my life in some way, shapes my soul, feeds my heart. And Mel's birth was no different. Over the years, I get the occasional email with pictures from her. I adore that! I feel a connection to every spirit that I was a part of assisting into this world and sometimes I get to be friends with the mommies and this is one instance where, although 'friends' might be too strong a word, we have some connection that keeps us in contact with each other. The connection that is there when you have been present at the moment life awakens and you have seen the miracle that is a mother being born, and a baby being given up from the womb into mommy's waiting hands.

So, Mel, I want to say thank you. To all women who allow a doula into their birthing experience, I say thank you. Because it is my honor to serve you, to open my heart and mind and spirit to the gift of life that you bring forth. It is my calling to be there, to bless you, to watch over you, to bring peace and safety and love into this vulnerable time for you. Mel, you gifted me with O's birth and I will be forever grateful to you. Thanks for sending pictures of O so I can see her blooming in your care. I treasure you. I treasure being a doula, having been your doula.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful job you have!

Anonymous said...

that is not a job that just anyone can do - good for you!

Scholiast said...

That must be wonderful, seeing children coming into this world! I'd be horrible at the job, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like receiving them... No, seriously, I'm not having any more ;)

Piece of Work said...

I had a doula with my first birth. She was awesome, and really made the experience even more special. For my second birth, we decided we couldn't afford a doula, and as it turned out, I had a scheduled c-section since she was stubbornly breech. Horrible, nasty experience, compared to the beautiful vaginal birth.
I think being a doula would be incredible, and I'd look into doing it myself, if I didn't have such a fear/distaste for bodily fluids.
Congratulations, and I'm glad you still get photos from Mel. I still think about Diane often, but I always felt that she wouldn't want to hear from me, wouldn't remember me. Now I think differently.

Veronika said...

It certainly takes someone very special to be a doula, and I'm sure you're thought of more often than you think!
:)

M said...

I am Mel. I feel that connection and am beholden to you forever for it. It was not a good time for me, as you know, and your very presence and calming tones helped it be more beautiful than it would otherwise have been. Life has taken us far since then but I will always be grateful for your assistance...woman to woman. You made it be all about me, as it had not been, and I treasure that. FYI, my mother has always been grateful for you too. She couldn't be there to help me and was glad I had found someone whose purpose was to care for me and make it easier.