Thursday, November 17, 2005

Thursday Thirteen


Thirteen Things about Straddling The Line



1. Today I had 2 parent teacher conferences. I only cried at one of them. The one I cried at was NOT the one where there was a teacher, a psychologist, and a SPED teacher and lasted over an hour. The one I cried at took 10 minutes. I cried because it was easy. I cried because it was so nice to hear, "he's doing well, he's in a top reading group, he loves math, he's a good friend to the new boy..."

2. Tomorrow I am going away with my husband on marraige retreat. That means I have to shave my legs. It also means, of course, that I am currently battling a fever-stuffy-nose-sore-throat-headache as are 2 of my 3 kids. Regardless... Tomorrow I am going away with my husband on a marraige retreat.

3. My dog will have to go to doggie-day-care while we are away. He doesn't like the idea of it, but he has so much fun when he's there. He comes home and sleeps most of the next day or two. He plays hard! He doesn't like to leave... kind of like when you have little kids in preschool or daycare. He's so cute.

4. My daughter is upstairs napping in preparation of going to the 12:01 showing of Harry Potter. I was going to go too, but feel too crappy. I won't sleep while she's gone, but at least I can be warm and cozy in my jammies with some tea. Maybe she'll bring me some junior mints. A friend will bring her home so I don't even have to go out at 2 am (or, whatever!) to pick her up.

5. I can't believe Thanksgiving is just 1 day away. Yep... 1 day. Because, really, since I'll be gone Fr/Sat/Sun and have to work on Mon and Tues, it just leaves Wednesday to get ready. Thats why hubby and I went grocery shopping LAST night. I'll spend Monday after work cleaning and screaming and stressing because I work all day Tuesday but my dad and brother will arrive then so everything has to be done before I go to work Tuesday. Wednesday is prep day... pie baking etc.

6. I know it doesn't sound like it, but I LOVE thanksgiving!

7. I'm just stressed about it. Thats all.

8. Someone I know is having a baby they shouldn't have. I feel so heartsick about it. I remember one of our foster kids who I think of whenever I see this persons first baby and I can't believe they are having another one. I believe babies are blessings, but this baby won't be blessed.

9. Today the sun was gorgeous and the sky was that deep rich blue that makes you want to swim in it. The mountain was so immense in the sky and the white cap of it with the spread of bay below it was something you could never capture in a picture. I love this place.

10. When I drove up this late afternoon and saw all the words of Thanksgiving my kids have written on the windows in window-paint, my heart leapt inside me. It was so... Norman Rockwell 2000 to see the backlit windows with their precious words.

11. I'm almost done.

12. The chimes of my grandfather clock remind me of my mother. The clock was hers and I'm not sure how I ended up with it after her passing, but I think of her often when I hear it chiming or the comforting sound of it's soft ticking.

13. My husband bought me this cool little Howard Miller mantel clock that chimes every hour with the first segment of a different Christmas carol. It's oddly lovely instead of cheesy and even the kids love it. At each hour mark, instead of a number there is the name of a song. So my little Bear likes to run over when it chimes and figure out "what song is it now?" I'm eagerly anticipating Christmas but I wish Thanksgiving would slow down a bit!


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!


1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



3 comments:

Jen said...

I feel sad when I see children that aren't cared for. I wish they would just leave them on my doorstep at birth and I could keep them.

Wow, everyone's going to HP! We're going to wait until the crowds die down a little...

Here's my 13: http://jenanddavin.blogspot.com/

Bryan said...

I always cry at teacher conferences. Whenever my DD has a horrible day at school, I call a parent teacher conference (that would be me & my husband) and cry on his shoulder.

Totally get you about crying at the good one.

I love Thanksgiving as well.

Renee Nefe said...

Your #8 is so sad. Those babies deserve better. I wonder why adoption has gotten such a bad rap? There are tons of parents who have the $$ & the love for these babies. so sad.

here's my blog
http://lillyput.blogspot.com/