In the past, I have had utmost respect and admiration for homeschooling. Every homeschool parent I've met has had the deep desire to school their child in a way that meets the child's needs, meets the needs and desires of the parent, and fits the lifestyle. I understand homeschooling, and as I've seen my public school children being "taught to the test" I even more applaud those who choose to truly educate their children in a well rounded way which lets them learn and experience instead of memorize and regurgitate.
Some of you may recall that even my Chick was homeschooled for a while: almost 2 years. We replaced her back into the public school system because I wanted an actual paper diploma for her that would unlock and open far more doors (and far more easily) than a "portfolio" would. My other two kids are so far (and I do mean that - So Far) schooled publicly and I've not really had a problem with anything. My middle schooler does a lot of projects which are fun as well as educational, he learns by doing skits, making posters, creating book covers, writing "expose's", and by participating all at a standard middle school with regular ol' teachers and a regular ol' principal.
I have recently met two of the worst examples of homeschooling. So bad, that I actually want to... DO Something about it. But I can't, of course. One child is being educated from a very rigid religious standpoint. Fine, I'm good with that. But the little guy has some serious special ed needs and while he spends an hour and a half a day at public school for ed support, at home his curriculum is to write 50 spelling words three times each every day. He is learning division and is pretty smart there. Science? Nope. Social Studies? Sort of. History? Sort of. Intelligent? Sort of. Maybe. I can't imagine my baby who has some learning issues, learning by repetition and rote memorization and simply reading text then answering questions and passing. His mom says that, "it's so easy, I just make him read what he has to, then he answers the questions and we are done." I shake my head.
The other one? An 18 year old with probably a 6th grade ability (across the board) and his parent who will NOT help him to even get a GED. This parent went so far as to encourage him that he doesn't need it, not really, and that unless he wants to get the GED for her, she won't help him. She won't help him. She reinforces how hard the GED is, how much prep work is involved, how he probably won't pass. This boy? This boy's mother is encouraging him to get married... to move out... she banished him once already and now uses every opportunity to belittle him and knock him down over and over. This boy tells me, "I'm not any good at anything and I couldn't pass anyway. Plus, I dont' really need it anyway." And this is what he believes. These words are engraved upon his soul, his spirit, his heart...
I am hurting so much for these two kids. And I'm wondering how many other homeschooling parents are unintentionally doing the same thing? As a homeschool parent, please, clarify your reasons for your choice, plan for the future, set goals and don't stop until you reach them. You are doing this from a place of love and in your childs best interest, I know that. But is it working? Is it working?
It's a big world out there. Society is mean and hard and cold. Are your kids ready?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh - I feel for these kids...
I know of two girls who were homeschooled and then placed in public high school - a high school with 4000 kids in it. They have never succeeded in that environment.
One wanted to go to college - couldn't get in because her grades were so bad. The other is going to get her diploma and go to NYC to do ballet. OMG!
Society is mean and cold... I try to prepare my kids the best I can. I will be there if they need me... But... Wow! Those stories blow my mind!
Homeschooling isn't for weenies. It's hard to do it right. LLB wanted me to home school her in 4th grade, but I refused. I know my limitations and I have a master's in education.
Happy Easter, my dear friend!
xo
LBC
I worry about a lot of homeschoolers, too. I think the homeschooling teachers need to get some kind license or monitoring. I think a lot of homeschools are great, but not all of us are teachers. I certainly would suck at it.
I worry about kids whose parents homeschool them simply for religious reasons, too. i think it can be dangerous to only get the views of your parents. Not in all cases, of course, but, shouldn't we be taught to hold up our values in the real world?
Your last story is very sad. Lazy mom.
Post a Comment