Last night I found your pajamas. Sunday morning I had hurriedly pulled them off of you in order to dress you for church and your beautiful cotton Hanna Jammies had been tossed on to the back of th couch. During a mad cleaning scramble the other day I gathered all loose items for the laundry and ran a load. Last night as I pulled some clean fluffy clothes from the dryer, your jammies were there.
I held them up to my face and inhaled the scent. Laundry detergent, fabric softener, clean cotton, and yes, still, the smell of you. The faint scent of baby, of A&D, of Amoxicillin and sugary sweet Ibuprofen. The faintest scent of you - the you that smells like my heart.
Today I will fold them and put them away. I know you'll come again, a visit here and there because your auntie is so kind to me, and I know you'll wear those jammies again. It's like having a tangible peice of the etherel ghost "Hope" just sitting in my closet. Until then? Always remember:
I love you Meme.
No comments:
Post a Comment