Today is my 38th birth day. I am beginning my 39th year of life.
Today, after an unusually peaceful nights sleep, I awoke to watch a raging storm on the Atlantic Ocean right outside the windows of our beach rental house. Where, for the past few days, I had awoken reluctantly to the cries of my children about dolphins and blue sky, I woke on my own to see the wild beach in all it's full unmolested beauty. The white capped waves rolled higher and higher, the foam of them taking on a life of it's own and blowing away over the sand not unlike snow.
After a once-a-year breakfast, I actually went back to bed for a little nap while my children and husband all showered, did dishes, tidied up, and made everything perfect.
Then? Yes, then we went shopping! Outlet shopping! Outlet shopping and gift cards and could the day get any stinkin' better? Actually, yes.
After wearing out our feet at the outlet center, our straggly damp and windblown group moved on to the Outer Banks Aquarium. We touched real live Sting Ray's, watched crocodiles being fed (ick: mice, minnows, and baby chicks!) and had a great discussion with some biologists about the 8 foot long sand shark that was being showcased.
And that's not even half of my day.
Stopping by the local seafood market, we picked up a variety of fresh shellfish and my hubs dished up a wonderful melange of shellfish, fresh bread with seasoned dipping oil, a lovely Pinot Noir, and the smiling funny faces of my three children... all with candlelight and a fire in the fireplace. He cooked, and then he and Buddy cleaned up EVERYTHING while the girls and I soaked out on the deck in the hot tub, trying our best to keep even the tippy tops of our shoulders covered in warm bubbles while our faces were bathed with the cold ocean wind and mist.
It's not over yet... there is still Coldstone Creamery, more Pinot Noir, and a movie to watch while the surf still rages in the background before we all collapse at the end of what has been one of the top best-days-of-my-life.
How did I get so lucky?
4 comments:
Happy Birthday!!! It sounds like an absolutely wonderful day. I can't wait to see you! Have you decided when and where, yet?
xo
LBC
Oh it sounds like a PERFECT day to me! Happy Birthday to you!!
Hey girl
I am trying to catch up on some blogging...
I feel like poo for neglecting my friends.
Thanks for all your support in 2007. It meant a lot.
You were in NC?
Next trip, I WILL meet you there.
pinky promise
I need to be at the beach. It's been too long.
*hugs*
email me!
tagged you
Post a Comment