Saturday, February 3, 2007

Exposed

Many bloggers have become impassioned about NOT writing about their children. They've felt it was an invasion of their childrens privacy, overstepping of boundaries, not wanting their children to be exposed in ways that might embarrass them. One blogging mother wrote so much as to say that her feelings were so heavy, so laden with stuggles, but that it wasn't her place to tell about them because the struggles belonged to her child.

I hear you. I do, I understand. Reading your various reasons why you do or do not write about your kids has given me a reason to stop and think for myself. But I can't stop writing about the very creatures that made me into the woman I am this very moment in time, and the woman I am still yet to be.

My childrens' struggles are NOT their own, not entirely. I share them as much as I share the blood running through their veins and the color of their eyes and the shape of their mouths. I share their struggles as much as I share their joys. I learn much about my children when I see them struggle, when I see them overcome - and I learn about myself too. For this reason, I will always write about my children. Because writing about my children is me, writing about a part of myself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What would I write about if not about the kids?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's pretty near impossible to be honest in my writing and not write about my kids. Besides, they are my muses.

Anonymous said...

I closed my old blog to start a new one. I had written a lot of information about my children, their names...where we live etc. I didn't feel comfortable with the whole world knowing all of that information.

However, my new site will include stories of my children, under alias...and never again will I divulge where we live.

I agree that it would be hard to not write about my kids...they are part of my every day existence. However, I also like to think that I am someone aside from a mother with thoughts and plans and visions that do not encompass motherhood.

Sometimes people stop writing about their children so that they can attune themselves with who they were before children, and make a healthy balance.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with either philosophy, to each their own :)

Anonymous said...

My family is completely anonymous. I don't use their real names and I don't talk about where I live. I also don't put pictures of them up either. Ever. But my blogs are not all about my mothering either. They are about me. Sometimes the mother me needs to talk about something.

It's hard to know where to draw the line when we women have so many lines to walk on. We are so multi-facete

Overwhelmed! said...

I can't help but to write about my son. He's the light of my life. Still, I worry about the wierdos out there more than anything, so I blog annonymously and I try not to post revealing pictures of him.

One day, I'll show him my blog. There's nothing in it that I wouldn't want him to read. My husband knows about it, he's the only IRL person that does. Oh, wait, I take that back. I've met a blogger in person, so now 2 IRL people know about my blog. :)