Monday, December 11, 2006

Miracles

Today we went to a friends house for lunch. Lelly is a delightful young woman from another country who is distantly related to us by marraige. She and her husband just bought their first home and are also expecting a baby in a few months.

Because I am a childbirth educator and a doula, Lelly calls me with questions and looks for assurances and advice. Her mother lives in their home country and Lelly often feels alone in spite of church friends and lovely in-laws. I am more than honored to help her as she goes through this wonderful experience.

Today we were gathered around the table sipping tea and eating dessert. There were a few different conversations floating around the table but I was completely focused on watching Lelly's belly. Baby was very active and I was spellbound watching her belly ripple and roll with various bumping motions. It has been so long since my own belly held that delicious miracle. Lelly asked me, "What is this?" while rubbing one particular roundish lump. Likely it was baby's bottom and I told her so but then she said, "No, really, feel this! Put your hands here and tell me what is this thing I am feeling!" I hesitated, not wanting to offend, but then my hands found themselves on her round firm belly.

First I cupped the sides of her belly, slowly sliding my hands upwards to the crest, and then allowing them to naturally move to sculpt and mold themselves to the shape of her baby within. I felt the baby's back, rounding upwards to baby's firm small bottom and then across to the softer and emptier portion where the sharp angles of feet and elbows could be noted. At some point I began to cry.

I am always in awe of the miracle that is a baby growing inside a mommy. I love birth. I loved the incredible and intimate moment I shared with Lelly, feeling the shapes of her baby and exploring all his (yep, a boy!) curves. I loved sharing information about how her baby was positioned and what his movements meant to her wide amazed interest. I loved the idea that I was touching a life yet unlived... and I can say truly that I am among the very first to ever hold her precious son.

Thank you Lelly...

5 comments:

Chris said...

I have always wanted to be a post-partum doula and am currently researching it to find training in my area. I've wanted to do this for about a year now. (I told you we had a lot in common!). I want to be a post-partum doula so I can see and touch babies again. I miss babies. I bet this relative is so happy to have you there for her. I can't wait to hear when the baby is born! Keep us updated okay?

Nicole said...

First time to your blog. I got here from Veronika's A day in the life. Couldn't resist commenting when I saw what you do for a living. We are working hard on the conception end of things and I hope to use the services of a doula someday. Glad to hear that you are so compassionate and sensitive about it all.

Anonymous said...

yes yes....my daughter has a child in her tummy too.

She is so excited and prepared.

I wish her husband would be there but I guess I can fill in and cut the cord and hold him asap.

I have never seen a birth up close....been on the other end many times but never watching one.

ccap said...

Smile

Anonymous said...

The imagery here is so wonderful!

Lucky you!