Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Thursday Thirteen (it's been ages!)


Thirteen Things D's dying to Post About


1…. Why are jeans so expensive? Seriously! I know I may be a bit spoiled, preferring my jeans from name brand stores but still... $58 for ONE pair of jeans? They darn well better make my ass look higher, tighter, and rounder and add 3 inches of length to my legs for that amount of money. I bought two pair of jeans today out of desperation...fat fat me. Sigh. Fat and now totally broke!

2. Stupid moment #2071 - I bought a bunch of new Christmas lights and small accoutrements at the Bullseye store. I was going through bags and wrapping presents in my bedroom on a frenzy on Monday. I put the bag o'li
ghts in my upper hallway to get it out of the way. Later on I also put a bag full of empty packaging, scraps of paper, and useless debris out in the same hallway. Later on still, I gathered up all the trash in the hallway and carried it out to the trash bin just in time for trash pickup. I gathered up BOTH bags from the hallway and carried them to the trash. I - threw - away - a - new - bag - of - decorations. Essentially? I threw away nearly $100. No, my hubs didn't get mad but yes, I cried when I told him about it.

3. Susiepie from Bluebird Blogs is doing a facelift for me... she is working hard on giving me a fresh face - I get bored so quickly, you know? I can't wait to see it. In honor of my blog-lift? I'm getting my hair cut (first time in almost 3 years) and colored (first time in 6 years!) . Well, maybe. I mean, I PLAN on doing the cutting and coloring but I might actually wimp out at the last minute. I kind of like my long hair (sexy straight and smooth) and in spite of the gray that runs throughout, I still get carded so...maybe gray is good?

4. Why have I not colored my hair in 6 years? I hate the upkeep - too much time, effort, and money! I'm not a super girly girl so I just don't bother. I loved it when I had it done, I just couldn't be bothered to keep it up. Why hasn't it been cut in almost 3 years? I discovered Flat Ironing.... 'nuff said!

5. I can't stop gaining weight. Is it my age? At 37 does your metabolism simply stop working entirely? I mean, I know I don't eat GREAT, but I don't really eat all that bad either. I'm not much of an exersizer, but I did join a gym recently and I've been going... and actually sweating... and hurting... so crap, why do my pants keep getting tighter and tighter? Sigh. Remember #1 above? Yeah, that.

6. I'm done with Christmas shopping! Except, not really. I'm MOSTLY done. Santa has a few things to pick up to fill a certain sexy spouse's stocking... and there are a couple of grandparents who need framed school pictures... and I always do my fathers shopping for my kids: he provides a credit card # and I go online and choose gifts from him. I love online shopping! So... mostly, I'm done with shopping! No more malls for me! And if I can stay out of a particular Bulls Eye store? All the better... my credit card may burst into flames any second now.

7. Usually we buy most of our Christmas with cash. This has been a different year for us. Unfortunately, I found myself spending even more instead of less in spite of the lack of actual cash flow. What is it about not having money that makes me actually NEED to spend it? Hmmmmm...

8. It's Hannukah, Bears birthday, Christmas, and my birthday all this month. Enough already eh? Too many gifts and too much stress and so much more letdown in January. No wonder my anxiety is reaching all new levels.

9. We also recognize the deaths of three special people in our lives this month: Meggie, the 3 year old daughter of my good friend died on December 18, 2004 and Scott, the husband of another very good friend died on December 26, 2004 and Emily, a wonderful young mom died on December 7, 2005. Added to our still missing our beloved Uncle Jim (d.5-04-05) and the holidays are still a bit of a downer. We think about my mother in law who died in the fall of 2000 but whose birthday is December 18th, and my grandmother who died in 1995 but who was my "birthday twin". Sigh.

10. Favorite Christmas Song? O Holy Night - I particularly love the version by Martina McBride. But I also really like "Pretty Paper" which reminds me of my mom. What about you?

11. Friday, my sister in law and her 7 yr old twins are coming for the weekend. They NEVER come to stay with us... really... NEVER. So now I'm anxious that everything be perfect for them. Of course this is the week I've had to work every single night plus one morning! But I'm excited to host them and hope it all works out wonderfully. I do love my sil, and her kids too... and I love to see my sil and my husband tease and laugh together. It makes me happy! I hope my sil will enjoy the visit and want to come back again.

12. My bear is doing Karate. She has, if you didn't know, a learning disability and struggles with quite a few things but Karate is her joy. She remains focused and attentive - she raises her hand and responds to her teachers, she smiles, practices her moves, and just shines when she's in class. I get teary eyed watching her excel in this thing when she has to work so hard just to get by in everything else. My baby...

13. I want to see Apocolypto and The Nativity. We will take the kids to see Nativity the week of Christmas probably... what are YOU waiting to see?

Happy Thirteen and thanks for visiting!




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun!


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeans should come with a money back butt improvement guarantee.

I'm waiting for Eragon (I think that's the way to spell it) because I have to know how different the movie is from the book.

Valtool said...

Hrm, I'm a guy and the last jeans I bought were about $17 at Walmart. Mine last about 3-5 years depending. it sounds like you and my wife have a bit in common. Check her at www.amychristopher.blogspot.com and my humble musings at www.valtool.blogspot.com

Scribbit said...

Apocalypto looks unnerving but I'm all for the Nativity. Hope it's good.

Le laquet said...

I am actually still waiting to Casino Royale ... I will get around to it, soon I hope!

Barb said...

I just did a MeMe yesterday about my favorite Christmas songs and Oh Holy Night was at the top! Happy TT!

Chaotic Mom said...

I need to color my hair, too! Have you tried TJMaxx or Marshalls for jeans? I've found some great brands there for less than half the store price.

I've posted my Thursday Thirteen, too. Enjoy!

Leanne said...

Jeans! This is so funny because in about 10 minutes, I'm leaving to pick up a new pair of Levi's. I'm prepared to drop $100 on two pair, too. They're crazy expensive - but I won't settle for any other brand, Levi's are the best, for me!

Nice to see you around again, can't wait to see your facelift!

JAM said...

Great list. I think everyone just about blows their top when they have to buy new jeans. Crazy. It's like how pizza used to be something you could buy if you only had a few bucks, it's expensive now.

I've also come to the conclusion that once we reach a certain age, the Christmas season will be bittersweet due to loved ones passing away.

Ladybug Crossing said...

Karate - My #1 is a black belt - he loved it!! It's a terrific activity - I'm so glad she's enjoying it.

I'm sorry you tossed your bull's eye bag with your decorations. I think we've all done it at one time or another. :-(

Have a good day!
LBC

Chris said...

I love jeans! But, because I'm so tall (5'11"), finding them can be difficult. There's two places I go regularly and I love thier jeans is The Gap and Old Navy. Only place that makes them long enough!.
As we've discussed before, we do parallel in a lot of ways. I too, just adore O Holy Night as my favorite Xmas song. My favorite version is Josh Groban's. Seriously, I like that song so much that I burned a CD with only that song sung by 10 different people! My husband thinks I'm silly.
And, like you, I'm remembering everyone who's not here anymore with me, especially my uncle. I know how you're feelin'.
Great list girlfriend!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm 38 and really have to figure out why I gain 10 pounds every fall without any effort and then struggle like anything in the spring to lose it again every year.

I've GOT to get this thing under control.

Karate sounds great for for your bear. : )