...I'm not a saint and I certainly don't deserve the extra blessings that you all are wishing for me, I really have plenty of blessings in my life. I'm not doing something all that wonderful. It's just love... and I happen to have a lot of it. I could use a little more patience, a smidge of tolerance, and even maybe a pocketful of laid-back-attitude not to mention I really need some energy... but love? I have a lot.
When it came to doing foster care, it was just that I *know* babies. I don't particularly like being in charge of the pre-school room during Sunday school, and helping out in the school age room practically causes me to stroke out, but babies I know. I do babies really well. So when we were really looking for a way to give back to this world we live in we thought we could handle fostering babies. We figured we could do temp/emergency care so that we could still have time to meet our own kids' needs (of which they have a few!) and keep some private time to ourselves.
What we didn't count on was that even when you sign a contract clearly stating: babies and toddlers under age 3, short term placement/emergency care up to 10 days, that DSS would be calling and telling you a heartbreaking tale of a 5 year old sitting in their office for 3 days, or two little girls who were going to be separated.
When you have a spirit that is full of love? Stuff like that is physically painful. I mean, seriously, my husband can't even watch any kind of movie where children are hurt or scared or kidnapped or anything. Together we won't watch movies where there is adultery or abuse of power in a relationship. We have soft hearts.
We aren't saints, or special, or even worthy of any praise. We are just... soft.
So soft, so heartbroken, that last night my husband said, "can we call DSS and tell them we'll keep Fairy and Baby so that they can stay together? We can't let them be taken away from each other..." Even though it was Sunday, I called and left voice mail messages for our workers. We are keeping these girls. They belong to us now. I don't know for how long, they are supposed to go back to their mommy eventually, but for the time being, I just became the mom to 5 instead of 3... I have 4 girls and a boy. Like I said, I have more than my share of blessings...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
You may not be a saint, D, but you are my hero.
And their hero too.
xoxoxoxo
You are selling yourself short my friend. You are 'special'. I couldn't do what you are doing. I would like to, but emotionally I couldn't. Every single person in this world is 'special' in one way or another. I feel God has given each one of us something 'special'. Yours is taking in beautiful children who need lots of love. It's a gift, really. Some people haven't found their gift yet. Some have. This is yours. And I am BEYOND happy you are keeping those girls! They will blossom in your care. And like Raehan above, you (and your husband)are my hero, too.
I've got tears in my eyes, and I'm not even watching Extreme Makeover (Home Edition)...
Thank you for taking those two! That is so important! And five kids is just the right number...
D- I KNEW you were thinking about it! Remember I asked you in my comment?
You do deserve what we have said and MUCH more.
People talk about doing these things but you are doing them!
What do the kids say?
You have made two little girls happy beyond their own imaginations. They may not understand the gift you are giving them now, but it will come through in the end.
Blessings,
Cindi
Oh, good!!! I was heartbroken when I thought those two sweeties would be split up.
xo
LBC
How wonderful!
God doesn't need us to be perfect, He wants our trust and love. You may not be saints, but soft hearts are close enough.
I was going to ask how your family was taking the fact that the girls would be separated. I'm glad that it is working out...I am so happy for the girls, for you...and just relieved that it is working out wonderfully.
Mommy of 5 with a heart for 100.
Love and blessings to all of you!
D, you are such an inspiration. As Raehan said, truly a hero.
I want to do what you are doing one day too, but it will be harder for me to get my husband on board. I feel that I need to do it though, and this entry just reminded me why. So, I shall press on, and within a few years, mark my words, he will do it!
Wow! What a wonderful thing you are doing for those girls. Thank you for being you. :)
Post a Comment