Saturday, August 19, 2006

Raffi Makes Me Cry

Today I got choked up while singing Aikendrum with my kids. As I was singing, I felt the feelings well up inside of me and my eyes started stinging and my nose got prickly and my voice cracked. No, I'm not PMS'ing! I'm just... longing.

When Bear and Buddy were tots, all of 8 years ago now, we sang a lot of Raffi. He was in the car, in the house, in their own personal cd players. I knew all the words and even made up a few of my own. I loved him, but even more I loved the look on my childrens faces as we sang together - their round shiny cheeks appled up in big smiles, their bright sparkly eyes holding stars and their pure angel voices lisping out the words. It was a safe and happy time. (yeah yeah I know, I'm deliberately not mentioning the overload of 2 in diapers at the same time and all those sleepless nights!) But by the time pre school rolled around, we were singing real music... the Beatles, Jimmy Buffet, Cat Stevens, and so my friend Raffi fell by the wayside. I've never really thought about him since.

Yesterday we braved a trip to the library with all 5 kids (we likely won't be doing that again!)and I picked up two cd's for the car: Raffi and one by Joe Scruggs. They had been our favorites. I thought Fairy and Baby might like them too and besides, I was running out of memorized nursery rhymes. Today we took a little car trip and I popped the Raffi CD in. Instantly I was ripped from this very moment in time and was thrown back to 'before'. Amazingly, Bear and Buddy came right with me.

Oh if you could have been there! Bear in the very back of the van bopping around and singing loud, her freckled face shining like the very light of God was pouring from her. Buddy next to me in the front laughing joyously and amazed at himself for instantly knowing/remembering all the words and throwing his cool 10 year old self to the wind as he sang along, and Fairy and Baby in the middle row just laughing and la-la-la'ing the best they could. I sang with the same purity and intensity as I do when I'm singing praise and worship in church. It felt that holy, and it was that beautiful. And I cried a little.

It was all good.

8 comments:

ccap said...

'Kay that made me cry too.

Chris said...

Ah, what a wonderfully blessed moment. It's quick little snippets of life that will stay with you forever. How lovely is that?!

Happy Mama to Three said...

Angels come in many different forms. Sounds like yours are riding in the middle seat of the fan transporting you quickly back in time while giving you the chance to experience it all again. Blessed indeed.

Cindi

Anonymous said...

Those moments are golden.

Anonymous said...

Will you move next door to me?

Ladybug Crossing said...

Ahhh - I remember when....

Courtney said...

What a wonderful moment in time. I love it when moments like that strike :)

Bea said...

Oh my goodness woman, you are killing me here! I was playing Fred Penner this morning and dancing around the living room with my children (2.5 yrs and 13 months), and I was wondering how long this innocent time lasts, before pop music and grown-up TV shows and all the other stuff horns its way in. We're big Raffi fans around here too - I love the innocence (and I know it won't last forever).