Friday, August 11, 2006

Fairy Baby

I lay on the mattress with Fairy and Baby. They are lying face to face and holding hands. They gaze into each others eyes. Fairy reaches out and strokes Baby's face. Baby holds out her hand and Fairy grasps it. Two little baby starfish hands, fingers entwined, little dimpled knuckles flashing in the light of the nightlamp. Fairy lets go of Baby's hand and touches her hair. Baby giggles. Baby touches Fairy's hair and Fairy chuckles. I shush them... I hold their hands down... I move Baby and I lie between them instead. It's late and they need to go to sleep.

All I can think is that in a few days, their other foster family is coming home from vacation and will take Baby but not Fairy. All I can think is that in a few nights, Fairy will have no Baby to touch, to hold hands with, to reach out to and hold on to. In a few nights her whole world will be diminished to something so foreign and so unrecognizable, so alone. God, how do I let these girls go?

How can the other family take one and not the other? How can you, in your heart, take two babies from each other? They've already been through so much in such a short period of time, how can you tear them apart even more?

Some would say that they are young, they won't remember... they will forget quickly, adapt and grow and move on. Fuck that.

Baby










Fairy

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

D, I can't stand it and I am hundreds of miles away and have never seen them!

It is a glimpse into foster care that I'm sure most of us would rather not see or acknowledge.

Are you thinking of keeping them or are you better with doing the emergency thing?

I will pray for them and their mother and Flit too.

Andrew McAllister said...

Ouch. There so much pain, both stated and unstated, in that story. I hope you can find the silver lining that will give you some peace about it. Good luck!

To Love, Honor and Dismay

Piece of Work said...

Oh my god. This story kills me. I would LOVE to take both of them. I wish my husband would be on board with that. D, I am so impressed with you, but it makes me ever more aware of my own restrictions.
I want those babies!

Chris said...

God. I'm blubbering like an idiot. This is not right. And you said it perfectly: Fuck That.

Ladybug Crossing said...

Fairy has the most gorgeous eyes I have ever seen... she really does look like a fairy...
How anyone can tear them apart is unconsionable! Gotta love DSS...

Gidget said...

Such beautiful little ones....
Such pain....so young....
I pray that all works out in the end.

*sigh*

Scholiast said...

Are they really allowed to take just one? If there's a chance their mother will get well and be wanting them back at some point? Shouldn't they be kept together for some sense of security?

And now I'm thinking, what if something happened to my hubby and me, would anyone take on board five kids?

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for these two precious girls to find peace and comfort...and to know love. I will be praying the same for you as well.

They both have beautifully stunning eyes. I don't think that you will ever forget them, I don't even have the privelege of holding them, but I know I won't forget them either.

I'm sorry for your pain, I am sorry for their pain. Nevermind that they will adapt...nevermind that they will move on...those things are a result of pain. Remember that God has a plan for them...as a result of love.

Girl Raised in the South said...

You have a big, big heart. And a soft one.

ccap said...

Those are astonishing eyes. Both sets.

Kimberly said...

Wow!! Those eyes are amazing!!!