Friday, June 16, 2006

Friendship

Yesterday I went to my friend K's house to bring her a little treat. She'd had some dental work done and was home resting. While I was there, she showed me something she'd found in her son Red's backpack. Red is the same age as Buddy (10) and the boys play together at least once a week even though they attend different schools. Red had written a 2 page essay on what it was like to lose a best friend, and then find him again and it was titled with my Buddy's name. The essay covered our move out West and how sad Red had been, and then how excited he'd been to find out we were moving back. He wrote that Buddy was like a brother to him and that Buddy, Red, and another boy were like the 3 Musketeers. These boys have been friends since they were in diapers.

Can you blame me for bawling my eyes out?

K and I stood there in her dining room crying together over the unashamed love her Red was able to express. Part of my tears came from feeling so happy - so gratified that both Buddy and I have some of the best friends in the world. K is my absolute bestest friend and I mourned her so much when we lived out West. From the moment we moved back, her and I have gotten together more than ever before. Having spent 18 months apart taught us the tremendous value of each other. Another part of my tears was the left over grief from all we'd been through since we made that decision to move away in the first place.

I don't know if it's a girl thing, or just a 'me' thing, but I NEED my girlfriends. There's mostly just K - but I have a few others that I talk to regularly and get together with often enough. K remains the foundation and soul of friendship though. We aren't party girls... we often just go grocery shopping together. We both have kids with special needs and you can find us comparing Education Plans and Summer Services and the latest research. Sometimes we just hang out - compare whats for dinner, and whine about our kids. It's all very mundane, but absolutely necessary.

I am thankful for K, and hope that Red and Buddy remain friends even through the turbulent years ahead.

K? We might not be 3 Musketeers, or 3 Amigos, or even part of the 3 Stooges, but we are 2 of the best friends I could have ever hoped for.

3 comments:

Ladybug Crossing said...

That's the best! You are one lucky girl to have found such nice a nice friend. Buddy is so blessed to have such a sweet friend, too.
LBC

Chris said...

Our girlfriends are a must. Face it, we're going to outlive our husbands and that will leave just us and our gal pals!

Anonymous said...

You are two lucky girls!