Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Home Again

We are here. We are in MA and have done the final walk through of our new house. We pass papers on it today. If we are lucky, we'll pass papers and get them recorded and we can actually sleep in the house tonight. But likely the papers won't be recorded in time and will get done tomorrow morning and so we will have one last night in a hotel. I'm optimistic!

It's so good to be home. When we crossed into MA from CT yesterday, I got all teary eyed. I never thought I could ever feel that way about a place. When I was a child, after my parents divorced when I was 6, we moved at least once a year. I was always the new kid, always living in a new apartment, a new town, having to make new friends. I was also pathetically and painfully shy. So shy that in 3rd grade on my first day at a new school, I was so afraid of the teacher that I couldn't ask to go to the bathroom and I wet my pants. Wet. My. Pants. Yes, In. Third. Grade. Total humiliation. After that I was known as "the new girl who peed her pants" but only until we moved again which was quite soon after. This moving around trend continued until I was a Freshman in high school. I was 14 and we moved again but this time we ended up staying. And I hated it. I'm such a twisted person! But we lived there for 10 years. I moved out on my own of cours, and my step dad sold it after my mom died. But I felt no allegiance to the house or the town. My husband doesn't really comprehend the havoc this can wreck on a child. He grew up in the same house in the same town with the same friends and neighbors from when he was 2 until after he left for college. Even when his parents divorced when he was an older teen, he stayed in the same house. And when his mom finally sold the house and bought a condo while he was in college, he really mourned it. His dad remarried a woman that had been a friend of the family and there are a lot of photo's of David and his sister as kids playing in Sue's backyard and pool, or of her boys being at David's birthday parties many years before they ever knew they'd end up as step siblings and step parents. I asked him recently if it was weird and he said no, but when I asked him what it would be like if he married my friend Karen and parented her two sons he got all wide eyed and made a funny face. But regardless, he knows people from Kindergarden and I only know one person from Jr. High and then I have my friends that I've made as an adult, in MA. Leaving them was so hard, but coming back to town is so precious! I want to have a big party to tell them all how much I love them, to tell them how happy I am to be back.

So tell me, where is YOUR home? Where does your heart cry out to be?

Oh, and tell me, what color should I do my bedroom in? It's been chocolate and cranberry for about 3 years...I'm looking for a change, looking for plush and comfy and safe and a haven from the kids... what do you think?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow
Girl I just wrote a post that sounds very similar to yours!

I am so glad you are home.

I bet you end up staying in that house forEVER!

:)

Ladybug Crossing said...

Welcome back!!
Color for your room - something warm, sunny, and soothing.. When you choose a color, let me know. My room is ugly 80's blue wall paper... eeewww!

LadyBug

Scholiast said...

So glad you've made it safely over there! Not a little feat :)

Good luck with moving in (should be more fun than moving out tends to be).

How 'bout oceanic blue? You'll "hear" the waves and that'll lull you to sleep...

Katherine said...

Congrats on finally being back in MA! I'm so happy for you. I'm actually still trying to find "home". My husband's job requires us to move every 2-3 years so no place is home. It can be quite depressing. Just as we make great friends, it's time to move. Just found out last week we'll be moving to PA or VA in a month, sigh. OK, how about baby blue and chocolate for your room since you already have the chocolate part? It's really chic right now - check out crate and barrel and pottery barn catalogs/websites for ideas - full of blue and brown!

jeni said...

the new house sounds lovely & i'm sure you're ecstatic to be home finally! :)

where does my heart cry out to be? miami springs. but like it was when i was a kid. i returned there after a 10 year hiatus & its not the same anymore. too many people i've known & loved have either moved on or passed on. so it was very sad. now i think its raleigh. i can't wait to be there this summer. we're all twitterpatted! :) lol!!

and as for bedrooms. how about a sage green and navy blue theme? kind of nature meets contemporary?

Holly said...

I moved a lot as a child too, and feel exactly as you do. It was so hard. It is my intent to not move my kids, ever. I mean, I know not to ever say "never", but I'll be doing my darndest to avoid it.

How about relaxing colors for your bedroom like slate blue and a dark greyish-taupe?

M said...

I know this is an old post but I just found it tonight. It is just past midnight and I have been melancholy for Ireland...my heart's and soul's true home. I live in Michigan and am born and raised here but Ireland...my Ireland...that is where I miss. No one here understands it but my Irish friends, they get it...they know that when I say I am homesick, it is for the green hills they take for granted. They know that when I sit staring off with big, warm tears in the corners of my eyes just waiting to jump off, that those tears are shed for the smells and sounds and textures of Dublin or Belfast or Dalkey. My home, so long gone for me now and yet I can taste the air and hear the voices. Someday my heart will rest there...until then, I have my dreams.