Sunday, February 12, 2006

She left me speechless

So, most of you that read me probably also read Chris... she's the one in the Big Yellow House? Yeah, her! We ALL read Chris right? Well, if you don't, you should. But anyway... the point is, she posted about this and I have been left speechless.

When I read her post, I wanted to comment, but I totally couldn't think of one single thing to say. I was all shivery and 'fritzy' inside my belly. I had watched the dateline show about the pedophiles and I too had looked around at all the men in all the public places I went and wondered how many of them had those dirty dark secrets. I have always been a little squeamish around men and I protect my children with a feirceness that borders on over-protective and neurotic. I don't post pictures but mainly because I don't know how. But the thought that nothing is safe, not even you own family photos, is just way too scary. Who is looking at our children when we are at the mall or a restaurant? Who is leering at my son in the mens room at the airport? Who is using his cell phone cam on my Bear at the town pool? Oh Chris... "oh" to every mommy... my heart aches for how scary this world is. I wanted to also comment on her recent post about how she had taken some measures to protect her pictures (and her kids) but again, I was speechless with horror and fear... Chris, if you read me, my heart is with you.

Remember George Orwell's 1984? And how freaky the whole Big Brother thing was? Recently when I had to call CPS (sorry, child protective services) on one of my clients, I called from my work, stated who I was, reported, and was told that a worker would update me. Later on that evening I got a phone call at my house...from CPS... I had NOT given them my home phone number. My work did NOT give out my home phone number. They had managed to pull it up though based on my name and birthdate. They called me at home on my home phone... a little too George Orwell for me.

And yet I continue to pour out my deepest thoughts in such a public way. Go figure.

1 comment:

Piece of Work said...

It is weird that blogs are so "public" and yet I tell my most private thoughts here. I know you can make your photos only visible to family and friends via Flickr, that's what I do.
I try really hard not to live in fear of this kind of thing, but it's difficult. I don't actually thing this is a more dangerous world than it was 20 years ago, I just think we know more now. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.