Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Hitting The Wall (a true mommy-blog post)

Do you reach that point in the evening? That "hitting the wall" point, where all you can think about is bedtime? That I've-got-to-lay-down-just-for-five-minutes- point where you can hardly put one foot in front of the other and since it's only 3:30 you know you HAVE to keep going?

It doesn't happen to me at work. I never really get that feeling. But give me a day at home and sure enough, come 3 or 3:30, I'm totally falling apart right when the kids are walking in the door with their "MOM! Look at what I have!" and "Mom! I'm starving, whats for snack?" and "Mom! You HAVE to sign this NOW!"... and whats a mom to do?

Today, after they were in and fed and settled, I wrapped up in a fleece blanket and laid on the couch figuring that in 20 minutes A) I'd feel better and B) the kids would be done with homework and would wake me up in time to finish off the evening. It was 3:25. The blanket was warm, the couch was soft, the pillows were perfect... at 3:27 I remembered the roast that needed to go into the oven. Next thing I knew, it was 8:07 and time to put the kids to bed. How in the world did I manage nearly 5 more hours of energy? And what did I do with it?

3:27 - oh crap! the roast! Heave my self off the couch and head for kitchen. Begin dicing veggies, searing meat, and tossing everything in the oven. Commence to peel potatoes and soak in water until later. Decide to clean the kitchen from the mess I'd made. Realize dryer was buzzing and decide to fold and rotate a load. Basket is full so haul it upstairs... the rest is a blur but I know that I cooked dinner, fed everyone, and did dishes. I put away laundry, wrapped birthday gifts for our twin neice and nephew, wrote out cards to my co-workers for my last day of work tomorrow, gave the dog his ear medicine, washed the kitchen floor, ironed my clothes for tomorrow, emptied the bathroom garbage, quizzed Bear on her spelling, discussed homeschool assignments with Chick, emailed some old clients/friends, called my aunt (and chatted for half an hour), got Bear out of the shower (I guess hubby got her in???) packed lunches for tomorrow, rewound some videos I need for teaching tomorrow, polished off a half bottle of zinfandel and took a pain pill and am now blogging after reading bedtime stories and getting reluctant kids to brush their teeth and am waiting for hubby to bring Chick back from youth group. Whew!

Time flies whether you're having fun or not huh? I am definitely ready to fall asleep now, but I don't have that bone weary "must. Lay. Down. Now." feeling I had 5 hours ago. I better slip a sleeping pill in now or else I'll be laying in bed worrying about being tired but unable to sleep at 11 pm. By the way? The roast was horrid. I can NOT make a good pot roast to save my life. I finally decided to just quit. This was the LAST roast I will try. I've done Martha and Ina and Rachel and Betty... and my pot roasts NEVER turn out. Never. Ever. Seriously. So... I'm done. Damn, cuz I love me a good juicy moist falling apart roast with soft squishy carrots and carmelized onions and chunks of soft potato...ooooh I want one so bad... but I just can't do it. Sigh... story of my life!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude- CROCK POT!

Throw that bad boy in one with the veggies, a cup of water and a packet of Ranch Dressing powder!

YUMMY and the meat is so tender!

Tomorrow is anuthah day!

T said...

Wow you really do sound like supermom. I make dinner while the kids do homework, eat, do dishes Dh or the oldest gets the littles in the bath. Dh reads Chronicles of Narnia or I read babies picture books and then it's bed around 7:30. After that I am mush. I might read, blog, or halfheartedly get small work done but nothing like you! Good for YOU!

Anonymous said...

Funny. I was reading here thinking, "She makes roasts? I should do that." And then you said it was your last one.

I think I made one in the crock pot a long time ago that cme out well. I can't rememmber the recipe though.

Peeved Michelle said...

My mom always just used an onion soup packet for roasts. I seem to recall they turned out fine. I have never made a roast except to shred it up for BBQ beef sandwiches.

Piece of Work said...

I couldnt make a roast if you held a gun to my head. But good for you for trying!

Ladybug Crossing said...

Typical mom on a typical day... busy busy and no rest for the weary...I feel your pain.

Try the crock pot thing - everything that comes out of a crock pot tastes great!
LadyBug

Norma said...

I didn't learn this trick until I was retired, but I read it somewhere on the 'net written by a widower who didn't know how to cook.

Spray roasting pan the the non-stick stuff (I use the olive oil stuff). Put in frozen roast. Open a can of cream of mushroom soup and spread it over the top of the roast. Put in oven at about 375. Go back to napping. In about 2.5 hours you have a delicious, moist roast with gravy.