Saturday, December 17, 2005

Happy Birthday Bear

Baby Bear - today you are 8 years old.

You are, for the first time, so very excited about your birthday. You began the countdown right at December 1st and every day you want to know how many more days. It's hard for you, the counting and the understanding of time so up until just last week when you got down to "7 more days" you would still say, "13 more days and then tomorrow is my party right mom?" But at 7 days, you understood... and each day has been more exciting than the last.

You teach me that time is underrated... that the knowledge of time passing is not necessary to enjoy your every day.

You teach me that every spoken word can have more than one meaning. You teach me to think about what I say... a very good thing to learn!

You teach me that a smile goes a very, very, very long way. You touch people's lives everyday with your bright smile.

You teach me that touching and cuddling and snuggling is healing to the soul - and that in the giving of touch, there is receiving.

You teach your siblings about forgiveness, about forgetting, about being kind. You amaze me at your capacity for love toward them.

You teach me joy in all things. I never met someone who could get so excited over the smallest treasure. Oh Bear - I hope that stays with you forever.

I love your sweet voice and the funny way you talk. I love every freckle on your smooth round kissable cheeks. I love your silky dark hair - like a river of melted dark chocolate. I love your eyes that remind me of my mom. I love your perfect hands and their long pretty fingers. I love your pleasure in treasures like dice, rocks, and mardi gras beads.

I wish you a year filled with challenges that you overcome and grow from. A year of deep friendships that fill you. A year of new skill and more confidence. I wish you peace, and joy, and excitement and fun. I love you my little baby bear... Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today is my 5 year old's birthday too!

Cool!

Scholiast said...

Happy birthday! My Jakob was 8 years old on the 16th :) We had a huge party with 15 friends and our 5 kids... Makes for a post of its own a little later, I think ;)