Monday, September 26, 2005

It all sucks

First, I do not know how to make this cool: no little tags or links, no fun way to access a site meter, a link to 100 things about me, or my bloginality. So... I suck.

Second, my computer geek husband claims now that he is no longer employed in the field as a computer geek, he doesn't identify with the title and therefore... can't help me. Besides which, he was all about citywide networking and maps and NOT about code and links. Hmph. So, he sucks too.

And C? Well, dang, I thought writing would be awesomely fun but now that I feel like I HAVE to do it, uh, no, not so much fun after all. So... blogging sucks. And people who lurk without stopping in to comment and say hi... yeah, you suck too.

You know, sucks is sort of technically not a very nice word. I mean, I use it, but I don't like my kids to use it. So, my parenting/hypocritical self? Yep... sucks.

Argueing with my 9 year old Buddy about how to spell "recognize"... wow, that royally sucks! He is red faced and crying, his spelling page has a hole from repeated erasing, I'm sweating and gritting my teeth and trying to sound understanding and patient. The dog is barking his high pitched "hey Hey hey! Let me in!" bark, and the chocolate I thought I really needed has given me indigestion.

Now I get to help my 7 year old Bear with HER homework... ah, the day just keeps getting better.

What is the purpose of homework anyway? I don't get it, my son spends a total of 10 minutes whipping out a worksheet(even counting the time it takes to cry, have a fit, and re-write one word 4 times), my 7 year old daughter spends 45 minutes laboring over her work and all so they can... what? Get a sticker for turning their work in? I fail to see how homework is beneficial. Any comments?

I homeschool our 15 year old daughter, Chickadee. She does go out to the high school for a biology class but does everything else at home. In little more than 2 hours she can do a subchapter of Algebra, a lengthy literature assignment(great american novelists!) , a poetry unit each week, a 6 page world history program, spend time on a computerized typing program, practice the piano, and research a current events segment. She also has a learning disability. She is primarily self taught, only coming to me for help with Algebra and to get feedback on her assignments. So... why homework? Sigh... yep, homework sucks.

I'm obviously not "straddling the line" very well today. I've fallen off onto the bad side... well, as Jodi Messina sings, "Tomorrow's another day, and I'm thirsty anyway, so bring on the rain...." Or the rum... whatever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a sucky day... hang in there!