We are gathered here today to honor our Mothers.
We will provide them with gifts and flowers and chocolate as a way to -
WAIT!!! HALT!!! STOP!!!
ahem. Sorry.
Dear Hubby and Kids:
I know that every year we have a little tradition of restaurante of loooove and then there's the cards both handmade and store bought (which get tossed next Mothers Day), the handmade "coupons" (which are never redeemed) and then the annual budget gouging trip to the local Nursery to purchase all varieties of lovely floral arrangements so that our yard looks like this:
However, this year, I would like to make a suggestion. Just a small one. A kind of "Live Green" suggestion. Bear with me... it's late and I'm old.
I don't mind the restaurante of loooove... but can I specify JUST blueberries, bananas, cream, and ONE croissant? And of course coffee... but I'll skip the mimosa this year. And the chocolate. And the eggs and bacon etc. And how about if we skip the cards?
Whoa! Dude! I Know, I Know! Is that too crazy? But really... I know you guys love me and I don't need to receive a $4 card to tell me so. No cards. Really. But a cloth napkin and a placemat would be nice.... I'm just sayin'. And, really, no gifts either. My gift IS you. I wouldn't have this day if it weren't for you... ALL of you. Hubs, you make parenting a team work that... well... it works. And kids? You guys ROCK! I love spending time with you all, just hangin' out and chatting when we can. I love listening to you talk to each other. I just, LOVE you. I don't need your promises of clean bedrooms or free car washes (heck, I'll get those regardless of the amount of paper you use trying to make them!) I don't need a little book on the joys of motherhood because I've gotten to experience them all... and then some. I don't need a book of positive quotes because God already placed those in my heart. I don't need another music CD because, well, hey... Rhapsody! Right? Riiiiight!
What I want is something I've never had voluntarily handed to me just for the heck of it. It's happened when it's been necessary for my physical or emotional well being, but I'd like to have it, just this once, just because.
I want to sleep in. Late. Seriously. As in, I don't even need to peek at the clock and KNOW that there are hungry children zoned out in front of the tube and that I should feel guilty and jump out of bed to throw poptarts into their gullets. I mean, I want to wake up to find myself alone in the bed, and to hear the happy sounds of dishes clinking, music playing, and kids chattering. I don't want to wake up, late, and have to remind any of YOU to get up, to get dressed, to get breakfast, to stop snarling at each other... but I want to wake up at a normal time (um, like, you know... 8?) and find that life is already going on without me.
I want to stumble to the kitchen WHEN I AM READY to. I want to sip my coffee curled on the couch with a blanket and maybe a child or two. I want to... relax. I want to sit, sip, and look around at the CLEAN house and the SHINY POLISHED HARDWOODS and gaze out the CLEAN WINDOWS into our garden so I can imagine pinks and reds of flowers, and the green of leaves and vines. I want to take a shower and stay in as long as I want to... not have to hurry out so I can take care of the baby or hurry to get somewhere on time or get someone else somewhere on time. I don't want to go away by myself, I don't want YOU guys to go away... I just want to sloooowww dowwwwn for the day.
I want to read a new book while curled on my bed... and have a few kids watching a movie at my feet. I want to sit in the sun and watch my boy play baseball. I want to sip wine and eat cannoli later on with my husband and reminisce about our babies and how big they are now. I want... my family near me, to be able to slowly savor every minute of the day: guilt free, stress free, work free, pain free.
I don't want a spa certificate, a new outfit, perfume or body lotion. I don't want my car vacuumed for me or to be taken out for a noisy crowded lousy lunch, or to be hurried off to DO something or GO somewhere. I just want to... BE.
Whaddaya think crew? Can you four make it happen? Surprise me...
6 comments:
Sounds good to me.
xo
LBC
Me too.
You deserve it, darling.
By the way, I'm posting anonymously because it NEVER works to log in....
Love,
Golden
That sounds like the most perfect Mother's Day. Can I steal your idea and hint to my own brood?
hI JUST D,
thanks for stopping by my place. I love visitors! come back and see me soon. I love your blog & will visit you often. I prefer coffee, 2sugars, 1 cream! :)
they just don't get it do they? that is all it takes. as always, your wisdom calms me. happy mother's day! i'm posting anon also - Melanie
Post a Comment