Thursday, June 28, 2007

Buddy, I don't know everything.

Last night I was watching The Last Comic Standing. I really enjoy this show but don't follow it regularly so when I was channel surfing last night I was thrilled to come across it. Buddy and Dad were sitting at the computer downloading music and discussing the finer arts of hard rock from a Christian perspective. I sat on the floor right in front of the TV so I could hear it above the sounds of their chatter, the music they were listening to, and the annoying hum of the AC. I had myself a couple of chocolate chip cookies and a glass of wine and all was right in the world. I was giggling, chuckling, and occasionally actually laughing out loud at some of the comics when one in particular came on. The joke he told had me guffaw-ing so much that I thought I might actually pee my pants. My cookies fell on the floor as I fell backward and rolled around on the floor laughing. It was... oh, the joke was sooooo funny. The problem is that the joke was actually rather racist and made creative use of foul language. It wasn't meant to harm or offend, it was just...well... just funny. You know?

Buddy and Dad are watching me roll around, tears in my eyes, gasping for breath and trying to rescue my cookies. Dad says, "sounds like I missed a good one" with a sarcastic little grin. Buddy says, "tell me the joke mom, tell me!" I said to my buddy boy, "hon', it was a racist and bad language joke, I can't tell you." He looked at me, rather perplexed and then said, "well, why was it so funny then?"

I don't know Buddy, I don't know.

1 comment:

Ladybug Crossing said...

Don't cha love it when they do that??
Kinda ruins the whole thing... until you see it again in reruns...