Today was one of the days that I love best. I had nothing of real importance to do, other than some minor errands and so I got to spend the majority of the day with my Chick. As a homeschooler, her time is more free and it was a delious day to be together. My recent crazy work schedule added to her two classes she actually goes to the public high school for had made for a deficit in the amount of time we had available to spend together. Today was a welcome diversion for the both of us.
My time with Chick is always fun. We are very compatible which I find amusing since we are so very different from each other. I guess we are also very much the same - ah the complexity of women! One discussion that we had today was about cheating or lying. As is typical, we found amusing and goofy ways to discuss deep topics and this one came about while standing in line at a checkout.
The line was long and just before we got there, a second register was opened. I usually pick the wrong line - no matter which line I choose, it's the longest. So typically I try to just stay where I am and grit my teeth. As I gritted my teeth today, Chick asked me, "Do you want me to go stand in the other line and if I get there first you can squeeze in?" And I laughed and said, "isn't that cheating?" The woman in front of us thought it was not - and she very adamently stated so, but I still wondered. It's not like Chick and I were buying separate things and it seemed vaguely like cheating to me. We didnt' do it, we waited... and waited... and waited... and lo and behold, when we were checking out? The other register was just checking out the woman who'd darted over the instant she'd noticed a new registered opening in spite of the fact she was the last person in line at the original register. Ha. Cheaters get what they deserve. Right?
It made me think though of other small behaviors that I do that might be identified as "cheating" or "lying" or "stealing"... you know, like those little white lies I tell, or the small truth stretchers, or the pen I accidently pocketed... etc. Is it really that black and white? Does it hurt me spiritually and in my very heart when I do something small and petty? Is it a cumulative thing? Do small cheats add up incrementally? What says you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Fortunately, life isn't black and white - it's shades of gray...
:-)
My dad's a minister (well, retired) and he used to preach that it didn't matter if you crossed the line by an inch or a mile, you'd still crossed the line..
I'm no minister, though. I'd absolutely have gotten in the other line. And been made to wait extra.. I'd have pocketed that pen, only to find it break in half and fill my pocket with ink. It seems these "little" sins punish themselves somehow...
Post a Comment