Sunday, December 4, 2005

Rewarding Mediocrity

Tonight my 7 year old Bear starred as a BonBon running from underneath Mother Ginger's skirts in a 20 second time slot at the very end of a very small local production of The Nutcracker. She was one of ten little girls who were supposed to be little bits of confection but looked more like a cross between a daisy and a duck. They ran out, one at a time, from under the hugely hoop skirted "Mother Ginger" (who? I dunno...) posed, and then once they were all complete, did a little leap hop arm fling bow and then one at a time ran back under MG's skirt.

Adorable... yes... totally. Not quite as cute as the 4 year olds dressed as elves who sort of rambled around the stage until the elf-manager whisked them off after the music faded, but cute nonetheless (all one word or 3 separate? anyone?)

But worthy of a bouquet of roses like the tall, lithe, 16 year old snowqueen who waltzed amazingly on her toes for a full 3 minutes? Nope. Not in my opinion. She got a hug, a kiss, a high five and a "good job!".

Other little girls got roses. My bear asked why she didn't get any. Gulp. I told her that I thought little girls shouldn't get roses but that if she kept dancing, when she was a big girl I would buy her lots of roses. She seemed fine with that, but I wondered if I'd damaged her self esteem somehow. Not that her self esteem seems in any imminent danger, but I don't want to be responsible for her turning to drugs and sex because of a lack of roses.

So the discussion is: do we reward all effort? Or just... what? Perfection? My son has played 6 years of soccer. Every year he gets a trophy. So does every kid on the team. When he played baseball he got a medal every year. Just like every other kid. What message is it that we are sending these kids? If you try anything at all, we will give you a trophy whether or not you tried hard, did well, attended every practice/game or won. If you are seven years old and dance for 20 seconds, you should get the same token as a 16 year old who solo'd. What message do we send the 16 year old? That she's no better than a 7 year old beginner?

I want my kids to feel good about themselves. I want them to feel challenged, and to feel empowered when they accomplish something. I want them to want to succeed. I want them to reach, strive, and to work hard to get where they want to go. I want them to have roses and trophies... but only those that they earn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly these days we have to reward them in hopes of keeping them involved in activities.
The kids who do nothing extracurricular are the ones who end up in trouble.

Bryan said...

I did give my daughter roses after her recital. More for her effort than anything else. Also, because stuff like that was more of an irritation to my mom than a delight. She probably won't dance many more years, she's just not good at it. Poor kid, her two parents combine for 4 left feet, she never had a chance.

I've never thought that everyone should get a prize, "Best So & So" or somethign like that, so while I didn't agree with your example, I agree with your point. (Which is more important.)

Bryan said...

I did give my daughter roses after her recital. More for her effort than anything else. Also, because stuff like that was more of an irritation to my mom than a delight. She probably won't dance many more years, she's just not good at it. Poor kid, her two parents combine for 4 left feet, she never had a chance.

I've never thought that everyone should get a prize, "Best So & So" or somethign like that, so while I didn't agree with your example, I agree with your point. (Which is more important.)