Thursday, November 24, 2005

100 Things About Me

1. I hate my first name. It's always getting mispronounced, misspelled, and people are always asking me to repeat it or saying, "oh...what a unique name!"

2. I also hate my middle name. Not many people know what it is. Just as well.

3. I hated my last name so much that when I was in 7th grade I started using my step dads last name on a regular basis. So much so that now when people ask what my maiden name is I actually have to stop and think, "which one is it?" My last name has the same issues as my first name.

4. No, I have never considered legally changing it. I can't think of any other name that would fit me so... here I am.

5. I love my married last name. Love it. Even though people still misspell it, they never mispronounce it. Love it.

7. My kids have easy to pronounce names. I think they like them, but I don't care.

8. I like my age just fine and see no reason to lie about it.

9. That doesn't keep me from lying about it though, especially when my kids are doing a school project that requires them to ask me how old I am. I always say, "22". Let the teacher think what she wants.

10. I still get carded often enough that it keeps things fun.

11. No one seems to notice all my gray hair. I notice it. Seriously, I have a TON of gray hair. I guess it just makes my hair look shiny cuz seriously, I have to point it out for anyone to notice.

12. except my cousin J. He notices. He points it out to everyone else, "hey! Look at how much gray D has! Whoah! Thats a LOT of gray!"

13. I love him!

14. I actually like my gray hair. I think it's pretty. My hair is very dark so the gray is striking.

15. Needless to say, I just colored my hair yesterday.

16. But it's a semi-permanent, just for fun. Really...

17. I bite my nails. My hands are ugly. I try and hide them in pictures and out in public.

18. I like wearing mittens and gloves in the winter!

19. If I don't bite my nails and they get long and pretty, I tend to rip and nip and pull and tear at my cuticles and fingertips and they are rough and bloody and gross.

20. I think I am a cannibal. Ewww, gross!

21. My husband bites his nails too. Whoops, this is about me, not him. So... I married someone who bites his nails... how about that?

22. I have a child who bites her nails. Sigh...

23. I have 3 kids.

24. I wish I had more.

25. When we had our 3rd, we were overwhelmed and made the permanent decision to not have anymore.

26. We both regret that. Deeply.

27. But we won't pursue any more children because we still get overwhelmed sometimes.

28. We have had foster children and loved it. Adored it. Want to do it again. Maybe someday we will.

29. 3 of my maternal relatives have died of colon cancer.

30. 1 of my paternal relatives have died of colon cancer.

31. I am afraid I will develop colon cancer.

32. I have not yet had a colonoscopy. I am afraid to. I am humiliated by the procedure and can't get past that yet.

33. I have a very good relationship with my teenage daughter. She's an awesome young woman. I love her dearly!

34. I treasure my son in a totally different way, but with equally strong feelings.

35. My youngest daughter has stolen a peice of my very soul.

36. I never knew your heart could be split so many ways and have enough love in it for every way in which it is split.

37. I had a terrible childhood and maybe that is why I love my own kids so much, and tell them I love them every day.

38. I am not 'over' the damages done in my childhood, yet they have shaped me into the person I am and there are some good parts to me.

39. My husband rescues my heart from self destruction every single stinkin' day. He is my hero.

40. Once when I had my feelings hurt by both my dad and my stepdad, he said to me, "I will love you enough for both of them". And he kept his word.

41. I'm already thinkin' that 100 things won't be enough.

42. I have a lot to say about myself!

43. It's partly because I am still trying to figure out who the heck I am. I hope I can figure it out before I die. I'd like someday to just be at peace with myself.

44. I like to drink Rum and Coke.

45. My father and most of his siblings are alcoholics. Both of my brothers are alcoholics. My maternal grandparents were alcoholics.

46. Yes, I am afraid I will become one if I am not VERY careful.

47. I AM very careful.

48. I am not stylish.

49. But I try very hard to be! I just can't seem to pull the whole thing together. I always have the wrong shoes or purse or accessories. My hair is always the wrong style. My glasses are out of date.

50. I don't think anyone else really cares, but I do.

51. I'm addicted to smelly things: dryer sheets, Downy, candles and incense, soaps and shampoos and lotions. Lots of different perfumes.

52. My son is very allergic to all of this.

53. So, we don't use any of it anymore. I really miss it.

54. I'm always panicked about how things smell which is why I liked all the smelly stuff. Now I just run around scrubbing things like crazy all the time so they won't stink: like the litterbox and the laundry room where it is, like the dog crate and the front room where it is. Like, my son's room.

55. Sigh.

56. We have a dog, 3 cats, a leopard gecko, and two mice.

57. Thats a lot of extra scrubbing for me.

58. I also will wash things twice if I think they don't smell fresh enough.

59. Yes, I know, and I use it: vinegar and baking soda and tea tree oil and lavender oil yadda yadda yadda.

60. I have huge panic attacks over how I smell. I keep breath mints, gum, deoderant, body spray, and hair spray at work in case I feel I need them.

61. no, I'm not OCD.

62. Just a little neurotic.

63. An old friend told me I was too controlling, and that I kept my daughter on a tight leash, and that my family was like a little isolated island.

64. My daughter laughed at her.

65. I actually agree with the isolated island thing.

66. Remember how I told you that my husband rescues me every day? For a long time it has just been him and me, and our kids... and we love each other and support each other and back each other and I wouldn't have it any other way.

67. We invite people onto our island all the time, we just don't venture off very much. It's too scary out there.

68. My old friend didn't want to come to our island to visit, she wanted us to move off into her world. She has a small world. Too small for us.

69. We aren't friends anymore.

70. I homeschool my oldest daughter. She has a learning disability. She is college level in reading/writing/comprehension. She is 4 grade levels behind in math. School wants to keep her at her math level. Homeschooling lets her excel where she can and grow where she can while supporting her needs for a slower pace in other areas.

71. My other two go to public school and love it.

72. My youngest has a similar disability to my oldest. We may homeschool her too someday in the future.

73. I am grateful for what they have taught me about learning.

74. I love things.

75. I am easy to buy for because I like all things. Any things. Every things. Little things especially. And silk pajamas.

76. And cooking utensils. See? Easy! Cheap too. Not the pj's but the cooking utensils.

78. But I like them equally! Like I said, easy.

79. Wait, I"M not easy, just, it's easy to buy my presents. Got it?

80. Maybe I USED to be easy, but now I'm married.

81. I am not as tall as I want to be.

82. I'm not either as short as I want to be.

83. I'm very average. I'd like to be either taller or shorter. Since I can't help that...

84. I got fatter. Now I can get skinnier or fatter depending on the mood.

85. I wish I could make up my mind to be skinny.

86. I have brown hair, brown eyes, am average height, I have the weight of a semi-sedentary mom to 3 who tries halfheartedly to not be fat. I drive a brown car.

87. Not shiny brown, not melted chocolate brown, not velvet brown... not 'the color of rich earth' or mahogany or any other cool variation of brown... just... brown.

88. I am non-descript mostly.

89. I can get tipsy from one mimosa.

90. Are you really still here?

91. I like to play boardgames with my husband.

92. He does NOT like to play with me.

93. He hates that I cry when I lose.

94. I hate that I lose.

95. Crying is beside the point, really I get pissed off but I'm a girl so my eyes leak at every emotion.

96. Good heavens! I'm almost at 100 but I have so much more to say!

97. I love to go to the movies and eat popcorn and junior mints.

98. We bring our own junior mints.

99. We've been known to go to the theatre just to buy popcorn and then go home to watch a movie on dvd.

100. Can I go to 200?

7 comments:

Scholiast said...

Of course I'm still here! I honestly thought I'd drop out after 10 or so, but this was fun :)

Nice getting to know you better ...

Kimberly said...

That's a great idea about buying the popcorn and skipping the movie!! I'd rather watch a dvd on my own couch any day than in some nasty-sticky-floored theater....but I have issues.

Sleeping Mommy said...

I'm so afraid that someday in the future I'm going to regret having the tubal...

We've got three and we were overwhelmed and felt that if we didn't do something about it permanently we were both weak enough (and I get pregnant WAY too easily) that we'd have more when we can't handle the three we have and all the life stuff too.

Tell you a secret...I've already started regretting it a little bit. But I keep telling myself it's only a little bit.

Holly said...

I love your list! I give you permission to go to 200. It's OK. Some rules were meant to be broken.

I regret every day that my husband got a vasectomy. But he doesn't. Sigh. We started off saying neither of us wanted kids. That changed for me at 29. He didn't cave for 3 more years. Then, #2 came along unexpectedly, as we hadn't even discussed having more yet. But I knew I would have to have more than one, God permitting. I thought two would be fine, and I love my two SO much... and they ARE fine. But deep down inside, I DO wish we could have one (or two?) more...

I totally know whatcha mean about all the pets, and obsessed with odor control. Oy.\

OK... so many things I'd like to comment on, but I suppose I should go to bed. Story of my life.

Anonymous said...

I found a lot of great ideas here. You are building a nice selection.

recipes for healthy dog food

ccap said...

#99 - There's NOTHING like fresh, movie popcorn.

BabelBabe said...

i am having my tubes tied after this baby (#4) and have never been surer of anything in my life - and I wasn't after 3, so I am glad I waited. I am sorry you are sorry, but you have helped me a little bit.
Thank you.

I feel as if I have found a new friend! May I come visit your island? If you give me some coffee, I'll bring the cake : )