Saturday, October 29, 2005

Who Sets Your Compass?

Do you want to be with the one who turns your head or the one who sets your compass?

Thats a quote by Jackson Browne that my husband and I were talking about tonight. We were talking with Chickadee about flirting and how it was important to NOT play headgames just to get boys to look your way but to be yourself, to be honest, to be true to your own heart. We were saying how each of us had grown up in household that left us with the need to be loved by someone, anyone (!) and how screwy that was. We hoped that of all the things we'd given her, it was a sense of love for herself, a sense of her own worth, and a "if you don't like me, then to heck with you buddy" attitude. Not 10 minutes later, Chickadee's father called (think: power struggles, head games, 'serve me' attitude) and WOW! She was amazing! She told him how it was, how it was gonna be, and how it was not open for discussion! The last time they talked she was in tears for hours because of him, so this time was such an accomplishment for her! We are glowing with pride at our strong and independant Chick! What a woman she is!

For the funny part? When my husband and I were talking about how I both turned his head AND reset his compass, he said, "Now you just got me spinning in circles and bouncing off the walls!" Yes... I do indeed drive that poor man crazy! In my eternal quest to make every single person in my life love me and be happy, I can often be paralyzed with indecision. He tries so hard to be empathetic and yet helpful with his advice (NOT helpful!!) and I know I totally send him 'round the bend! He is a saint... most days! At least when it comes to matters of the heart. And really, aren't those the most important matters?

No comments: