Thursday, October 20, 2005

What makes a friend?

A good question. My bible study is currently doing a session about "capturing joy" and relating it to the relationships women build with each other. I like to think that I make a pretty decent friend, with a few quirks. I'm forgetful about birthdays and anniversaries, but when I remember them, damn I'm good. I'm loyal, I keep secrets, and I pray for my friends and worry about them and try to be a good listener.

"Friend" thinks differently. "Friend" is a woman I met who instantly assumed the right to know my every darkest secret, tell me how to raise my kids, tell me how to be a friend, and regale me with all her secrets and innermost thoughts and childhood memories. "Friend" kinda freaked me out a bit! But "Friend" had a 15 yo boy who became good friends with my chickadee. I like "friend son" cuz he's got nice manners, is decent, safe, and respectful of Chick and everyone else in our family. He's a neat kid. Like my Chickadee. But "friend" has issues and thinks that I need to respond to her issues identically to her... or else. She recently spent 22 minutes yelling at me when I told her that if she didn't like her sons behaviour, she should talk to him and not try to pass the responsibility off on other kids. IE: if you don't want your son wearing fingernail polish and braiding his hair, tell him NOT TO and don't call me and tell me to discipline my daughter for doing it to him (which, by the way, she didn't... and "Friend" knew this!) "Friend" says to me, "of course 'son' won't say no, he likes the attention from those girls"... so when 'son' behaves innapropriately with a girl is mom going to say, "well, the girl was asking for it!"????

I'm pretty upset with "friend". She knows it. So... what makes a friend? Not her. Maybe me. What are your favorite qualities in a friend?

2 comments:

Scholiast said...

Well, not 'friend', that's for sure.. I had a friend like that once - she'd rate her friends, and as long as I was # 1 she'd share all her thoughts with me, if I wanted to or not... Now I'm an ex-friend. Imagine that!

A truly good friend? Loyal and trustworthy - so you can tell her / him your secrets _if_ you want to. Someone to laugh or cry with, or just sit silently with, without embarrassment. Someone you gab with the moment you meet, even if you haven't seen them for years!

Just D said...

yeah, that friend that even though you haven't seen face to face for a while, you just hug and start talking like crazy! Love that one!