Anyone watch the Dr. Phil show on Breastfeeding in public? I did... and boy did my buttons get pushed! He is usually the kind of guy who helps people figure out how to compromise on important issues like, oh, say, teenage pregnancy, abusive spouses, addictive personalities... you know, real life. I was thinking that he would shed some light on some of the views about breastfeeding in public and help people identify why they felt the way they did and how they could maybe consider someone else's point of view. What was I smokin'? I must've been smokin' something because it was more like watching Jerry Springer than Dr. Phil.
Never once was it mentioned WHY women breastfeed. No one brought up the value or importance of breastmilk. No one mentioned the intense bonding and emotional ties that are enhanced by breastfeeding. No one mentioned the decrease in infant illnesses and allergies, or the benefits to mothers health either. The pro-breastfeeding in public lady just said, "I'll feed my baby wherever I want to whenever I want to and I dont' really care what other people think!" Boy, that changed peoples minds alright! Sure made me think twice (NOT). The anti-public breastfeeding lady just said, "it's not very attractive, not everyone thinks it's attractive..." in a totally whiny voice. Yep, she sure made a strong standpoint! I bet she made breastfeeding mom's everywhere say, "oh, well, that makes sense, I guess I'll stop nourishing my child in public so the world can be more attractive to others!" Good Grief! Is there no common sense?
I breastfed my 3 children. In private. In public. Sometimes completely covered up and discreetly, but sometimes more openly and while showing more skin than even I liked. I fed them on a plane, in the mall, at a restaurant, and in front of my father. I fed them in front of my husbands friends. And... at times... I fed them in a bedroom privately while a party went on with out me, in a dressing room with the door shut so we could nurse in a more relaxed fashion, or in a deliberately out of the way place.
If I offended you when I was in public, I'm sorry. They are the only breasts I had, God gave 'em to me to use and I was using them for their intended purpose. Did you think I was so sexy that it turned you on (you flippin' pervert!) and got a boner and were embarrassed in front of your buddies? Did it gross you out so that your stomach turned and you had to look the other way at the idiot teenagers with butt crack and pubic hair showing in between their multiple peircings? Or did you say, "oh, geez, embarrasing... I guess I won't look at that?" like a reasonably mature person and then look away. Did it occur to you that I was embarrassed at having to expose myself to the publics' gaze? But OH GROSS, I was NOT going to sit on a public toilet and nurse my baby just so YOU wouldn't be grossed out! Seriously, would you take your lunch to the toilet just so I wouldn't have to watch you chew with your mouth open and eat with your elbows on the table? I mean, that's not very attractive...
You cannot equate breastfeeding with peeing in public, or with public displays of affection between teen/adult couples. You cannot compare it to "exposing" oneself in a lewd and suggestive manner - a breastFEEDING INFANT is different... there is no way to compare it. It would be exploitative (is that a word?) for a mom to take off her shirt completely, remove her bra entirely, and then begin to nurse her infant at the mall or in a restaurant. But, really, has that ever happened?
Most women are as discreet as their babies make it possible to be (little hands yanking blankets off, little feet kicking your shirt and pulling it away...) and aren't looking to create a public disturbance. People who smoke in public aren't making a political statement, they are just... smoking. People who dye their hair aren't doing it to show off, they do it because it's what they want to do. But it's still no comparison. A breastfeeding mom cannot be compared to a smoker or someone who dyes their hair. For gosh sakes, they are feeding their infant - not letting their husband fondle them or suck their breasts, its an INFANT. Get the difference? Now, go get a life!
There are a lot of things I don't like to look at in public. I really don't like overweight girls wearing too tight too short tops and their jelly belly hanging out. I don't like looking at super low rise jeans with that whole fold of waist that flops over the sides. I hate fishnets, boots, and short skirts unless it's Halloween. I don't like teenagers french kissing in public. I really hate walking through a cloud of cigarette smoke at a public event. I get scared of dogs on leashes near my kids in a public area. But I don't try to outlaw these things. These are... these are our culture. This is what being an American is about: individuality, personality, expression of oneself. I don't petition congress to make it unlawful for fat men to wear shirts short enough that their hairy belly shows, or ask the police to evict a woman who is wearing a see through blouse and trashy makeup. I just put up with it. And if a woman is feeding her baby with her breast, and I can actually see part of her nipple, then I am looking way too close and I should turn my head! So hey, turn yours, shut up, and get over it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You go grrrl!
btw we get to see Dr.Phil over here, too. Sometimes I have thought he might be on to something and other times I wanna rip my arms off (so I switch channels, which is less painful)
I breastfed my firstborn whenever and wherever he demanded - not feeling I should let him go hungry just because someone might get embarrassed. Of course not! And I think it's generally accepted over here. (I'm aware there's a cultural gap here, our kids run naked around on the beach till their about 5-6, I guess that'd be unheard of in the States..) But really, FEEDING your baby?! There should be an uproar only if their mothers DIDN'T feed them..
BTW - I did, of course, feed my other kids as well, but they were way too small for the real thing when they were born, they had to be fed by alternative methods..
Post a Comment